Friday, 3 October 2008

Looking for Terrys

I just erased a complete post by pressing the wrong button, what!

Anyway, I just watched "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly". It was on our "community" cinema a couple of months ago. I didn't go, in case I would believe I'd get Locked in Syndrome. (I know!!!!!) Glad I did watch it today. He really did a Terry! I remember trying to read the book, but though being a librarian, movies speak more to me than novels.

Horrible, disgusting, awful situation and he did what he could do, and did it great. Students still ask for the book at the library. I don't know why Bauby wrote the book, but he is still a teacher to students studying to become nursers, by leaving his testimony.

About the movie, made me want to go out and dance to french chansons and listen to Leonard Cohen more than it frightened me. About Bauby, he wasn't a completely nice guy was he? He didn't have much belief in Christianity did he? Well, as for the Christians in the movie luring him to church and not respecting his non religion opinion. Not very nice!

As for men. DO YOU ALWAYS THINK OF SEX. (As if I don't, see previous post, commenting on Terry.) And oh, suddenly all women in Baubys life were BLONDE. ?.?. Anyway, great acting. How is it possible to make a movie like this with a not altogether sympathetic main character and a terrible story that could get really sentimental. It has it's crying moments but never gets soppy. It is fun, and warm, and sexy. OOps, the actor as Bauby in the back flashes of his life. Ohhhh. Sorry. Shouldn't have said anything about the blondes.

I also got a bonus from the movie. I remembered why I used to read. Somewhere along the line of librarianship books became work, and children's books a way for children to improve their reading, nothing more. I sort of forgot that we read to escape, to learn, to get smarter and to know other human beings. The movie almost made me want to read The Comte de MonteChristo. I say almost because my reading pace is so slow I would never get to chapter 59 in this life. Imagining being locked in like Bauby and not having memories and stories to fall back on. So I better go out doing a Terry and get some memories, and I better read some really good books, not just entertainment.

I hope Monsieur Bauby is in heaven even if he didn't seem to be believing in it. If he his I would tell him "Eat lot's of oysters, pimp up the white robes, but stay away from those innocent beauties up there". But on the other hand I probably would have nothing at all to teach Monsieur B, he is probably having the time of his life already. (Stay AWAY from those heavenly creatures.)

No comments: