There has been some debate in a national paper about The Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer.
One of the articles stated that it's understandable that twelve year old girls like them but crazy that adult, and adult librarians and teachers love them. It stated that the novels are not very well written and has a moral like "NO SEX BEFORE MARRIAGE". And suggested better vampire books. Link http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1353&a=823324 to Swedish debate:
Well, a debate took place. Pro and against. And like "all sorts of reading is better than not reading at all." And things like that. Well, this is my opinion.
I sort of agree with a lot of the different opinions. I read the first book in English and loved it. YES a new vampire book for young women. Yes, a love able character and an ordinary heroine. And since I am not that good at shades in the English language I really didn't think anything of it.
I did recommend it to lots of girls. I did. Then the debate. And then I read the two other books in Swedish, my language. And was, a bit disappointed. Put on my librarianglasses, and I had to admit. The books have a very clear moral. The funny thing is that it's the girl who wants to loose herself have sex and become a vampire, it's the guy who is the restraining one. Hm......
The intrigue is, well not that remarkable. But it keeps me reading, and it kept me getting to the third book. The characters are, well, cliches in some ways. It is not great literature. It is not. The languages is like in a Fab five book (mysterious five?, the Enid Blytons). There is no sex, but Lot's of lust and violence and killings. Honestly, does Mrs Meyers watch a lot of splatter movies?The setting place is like something I've seen on TV.
BUT and here is the BUT. With all series like Angel, Buffy the Vampire slayer, and witches (don't know the original name) all the great anime with supernatural and strong girls. Where can I get something like this in a book if I am like 12-16? I will read Pierce (Pearce) to see if that is an option. I read a Swedish novel that people said was a good alternative. Well, not if you were twelve. The only option I really can think of might be a bit too much for twelve year olds. That is, the first three Ann Rice novels. Unfortunately they are not available at the library, I think........have too check. Do you have any suggestions?
I read those novels, and I might give them to my friends children who reads Meyer. But on the other hand reading Rice was a terrifying and life changing experience. I still remember things from them. Like even if you live for hundreds of years you don't get better, you just become more and more yourself. I keep thinking of that. I also hesitate to give them Rice because the books are truly dark. Truly depraved. Truly vicious in someways. Do I want children to read that? So, the problem with Meyer is, there are no, what I know of right now, better options.
And I am shamelessly looking forward to part four. Even though I've read so many better vampire novels.
Wednesday, 1 October 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment